Monday, November 26, 2007

Back in Bedeku

Hello all!
I hope to find you all in good health and good spirits! I am in both right now. Life in Ghana (or at least the small parts of it I've seen) is beautiful. It's also ugly. I know, total contradiction but it's very true. When I look at the sky I see beautiful coconut trees kissing the clouds but at their bases I see garbage scattered all around. I admire my brothers beautiful black skin that it stretched over perfectly visible ribs. I revel in the strength of my beautiful mother but I have to remember that she must be this strong, just to survive.
Life here is so fragile- sometimes I fear one wrong move will shatter it completely.
There aren't as many young children here in Bedeku as I would like. But it seems that living as a child here doesn't last as long as it does in Canada. By age 6 or 7 you start heavy chores. My brother Jacob can carry a much larger bucket on his head than I can. It astounds me daily.
Even though we are in the dry season, it still rains at least once a week. I love it when it rains. Drops the size of toonies. My brothers and I lock ourselves in the cassava grinder workshop and we play games and talk. This is when I'm allowed to witness the moments when my siblings are actually children- until the rain stops. Don't worry, I still bring the children in them around to play and dance and laugh- and the adults don't argue. Sometimes my white privilege benefits the people around me.
We recently returned from a retreat in Nkawkaw- a very beautiful town in the Eastern region. While there we went to the Boti waterfalls (and swam, despite the danger signs), toured Kpong dam, and went up the mountains surrounding Nkawkaw. We were also educated on African traditional religion. It was a great time for us, spent laughing, planning and talking.
But I'm happy to be home. I was greeted with big hugs and beautiful smiles. Unfortunately for me, a very important person has gone to school in Sege, Gertie. Of course I am happy for her to continue school but now I'm all by myself and the selfish part of me wants her back.
A lot happened while I was gone, all of which I am still catching myself up on. It's good to be home though.
This is my last entry for at least three weeks.
Write me! It's nice to open your email to a big fat wad of emails from the people you love.
After the rest of our village stays, FLOCK will be headed off for travel time. Most likely Cape Coast and then to Tamale. When I return to technology I will update you on the adventures past and those still to come.
I love and miss you all!

Peace and groundnut soup,

Aryn

No comments: